Wednesday, January 11, 2006

WHEN WHAT YOU NEED AND WHAT YOU WANT COLLIDE

Philippians 4:11-13NASB
"Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."
What do you really want out of life? What is it that tears at you daily that you just have to have? How often have you asked God to give you what you need and not what you want? How often have we asked God to help us pursue what we need? How many of our wants are based off of temporary pleasures? How often do our wants get the best of us and control our emotions for that day?
I am not saying that there is anything wrong with desiring different things. But we must be careful not to let those things consume us. As Solomon reminds us in the book of Ecclesiastes: "the things of this world are all vanity and vexation of spirit." This means that everything here is only temporary. As Christians, we must remember that living right and doing right is what we need to do and what we ought to want with all of our heart. Far to often we let the wants of the flesh control and consume us. Since the Fall of Man there has been an ever continuing struggle of the heart not to be consumed with its wants.
I pray that today you will along with me, take a look at your life. Ask yourself if you are letting your wants have reign in your life. Secondly, sincerely ask the Lord to help you desire the things that you truly need. I leave you with this final thought by
Dr. Dennis Frey of Master's Divinity School.............
"IT IS AN UNCHANGEABLE LAW OF GOD THAT THOSE WHO ARE CONTENT WITH ANYTHING LESS THAN WHAT THEY KNOW TO BE RIGHT IN THE SIGHT OF GOD WILL SOONER OR LATER COME TO RUIN."

No comments: