Tuesday, December 05, 2006

SHALL I BE ENTERTAINED?

SHALL I BE
ENTERTAINED?
Encompassed about by desires in which to be entertained,
Seeking for something that is good, that will not leave me stained.
In this society in which I live, there is not much which is good,
So many distractions keeping me from doing the things I should.
Harboring in every crevace are many devices which are bad,
Tainting the minds of families, leaving them desolate, broken and sad.
Are we living only for the moments that bring us temporal pleasure,
Neglecting God's priceless gifts and His eternal treasures?
From where comes my joy, is its source pure and real?
Have I become a pirate seeking what adds to my appeal?
Contentment is fleeting, to grasp it is gain,
Cease living for temporal pleasures and experience less emotional pain.
Shall I be entertained! Seeking to have my desires filled,
Or strive for that which is pleasing to God's will.

2 comments:

Kelly Glupker said...

What a challenge!

Jocelyn Pagano said...

Great poem. It is a challenge to strive for. How do you find time to write these poems? I am sure you are busy with teaching. As you can see I am just finding a few moments to catch up on blogs!