Thursday, March 09, 2006

WHEN THE MINISTRY CAUSES YOU TO QUESTION YOUR LOVE FOR IT....

WHEN THE MINISTRY CAUSES YOU
TO QUESTION YOUR
LOVE FOR IT...
It all began April 12, 1990. That is the day that I surrendered my life to full time Christian service. I was fifteen years old sitting in a Youth Conference. I had been contemplating for some time what I was going to do with my life when I graduated high school. From the time that I was little, I remember seeing my Dad and Mom totally sold out to ministering at the church and to other people. We always had new converts or new families over to our house. I was given great examples about how to put others first and to give of yourself in showing the love of Christ to others.
Since that April day, I have not cease to pursue to minister in some capacity. Over the years I have become exposed to the many different sides of ministry. At times I have pondered the thought of second guessing my committment of service years ago. I blindly thought that because you are serving with other God loving Christians that everything will go happily and smoothly. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. The words of a mentor of mine from college echoes in my head very often: "MINISTRY IS PEOPLE.....PEOPLE IS MINISTRY" Wow!! I had to let that one sink in a bit. As long as you are serving with and ministering to sinful, selfish, ignorant, prideful, stubborn, saved by God's grace people; Ministry is going to have its ups and downs.
Why does God choose to use us? Why does he choose to use people like us to carry out His will and ministry? Why does God allow His ministry to be affected by the decisions that we make? At times I must say that my love for ministry has been strained due to the lack of professionlism or lack of organization. So many sold out hardworking servants get stepped on due to being reliable or not knowing how to say no. People are expected to do more than they can because it is ministry. Disorganization, lack of help, unexplained decisions, misuse of people and assests are but a few of the things that are often seen in ministry. Things like this cannot be looked at as acceptable just because it is ministry. All things must be done decently and in order.
At times I think that those in leadership become so focused on the Ministry aspect that they forget to minister and look out for the People invovled. Have you questioned recently why you minister? Have you questioned why you are committed to the ministry? Have you recently sat down and evaluated why you do what you do? Have you considered why you continue serving in an organization(Ministry) that seems to lack as much direction as a horse running wildly without a bridle?
I do not want to come across as someone that is bitter who no longer enjoys or likes the ministry. I am far from that. I love the Ministry with all my heart. I just want to be real and share the fact that at times that does happen. Despite all the inadequacies we have, God still chooses to use us for His honor and glory. Are there ups and downs in ministry? Most definitely! Are there bad decisions made by good God fearing people? Yes! Do people get burned out? Yes! Do people walk away from the ministry? Yes!! Do people at times question why they made the committment they made? Yes!
We must remember this key thought. "MINISTRY IS PEOPLE.....PEOPLE IS MINISTRY." It is not about you, IT IS ALL ABOUT THE GOD IN HEAVEN THAT WE SERVE! Despite all the things that go on and the questions that go unanswered; God's work will carry on. Any ministry that we are a part of or serve in is not ours. It is God's Ministry. Therefore, we should do our best to live and serve in a way that glorifies Him and draws people to Him and not away from Him. Whether we are the ones serving or the ones being served.
I close with this thought from Charles Swindoll:
IF GOD'S WAYS ARE HIGHER THAN OURS........THEN SUBMIT
IF GOD IS IN CONTROL..............THEN OBEY
IF GOD HAS THE ANSWERS I LACK.....................THEN TRUST

3 comments:

David said...

tyrrar,
david griffiths here. never thought i'd hear of you again. looks like you've got some good stuff here. i'll be back.

Shyla said...

Hey T!
It's interesting that this was your post b/c this has been something that I have been thinking about a lot lately and something that Nathan and I have been discussing together on a similar topic.
It's so important, as you wrote, to keep your eyes on the reason for your ministry. People fail, people are disorganized, people take other people for granted. As I read through Matt.9 this past week, Jesus was spent for the ministry. He had people grabbing at him from every angle wanting healing, wanting forgiveness, desiring to be in His presence. Jesus didn't tell them to go away, He didn't tell them to stop grabbing at his garments. He showed Compassion.
Ministry is people, and people need compassion.
May we emulate Christ in our service to others and not be discouraged by the actions of disorganized, albeit well meaning
christians.
thanks for the thoughts T.
Shy

Kimberly said...

Hey T, I noticed that you commented on my blog...so, I guess whatever I did last night worked?! I printed out this blog and gave it to 2 of my friends that teach with me, and I also left it on my administrators desk! :) heehee!