Wednesday, September 28, 2005

THE WORD FOR TODAY
(CONTENTMENT)
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you see the word contentment? If you are single, you probably think of being content with being single until you find the right person. If you are married with family, you probably think of being content with having a house, a vehicle big enough for your family, and the finances to stay stable. There are many things in which we struggle to find contentment in.
Where is the Apostle Paul when he makes mention of this word "contentment"? Phillippians 4:11, "Not that I speak in respect of want, for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Paul was sitting in a cold, dark, wet dungeon surrounded by some of his centurion buddies. Well, I will not call them buddies, but they were usually keeping close watch over Him. Here is a man who had been beaten with rods, stoned, whipped, shipwrecked, mocked, and shackled more times than I can imagine. The word contentment rolls off his tongue like a man who has truly endured and has found the true meaning of it. This is the same man who says, "Rejoice in the Lord always, and again I say rejoice."(Phil. 4:4)
What definition comes to mind when you reflect on the word Contentment? Can I actually say that I rejoice in every situation that comes my way? Not hardly. I am sure that there have been many situations that have crossed your path, that have brought you face to face with the struggle of contentment. I would like to leave you with this definition to ponder as you carry on with your day. You may have other definitions. Please feel free to share them with me.
Contentment - being completely satisfied with who you are in Christ, where you are in Christ, with what you have in Christ; even if not a single one of your heart's desires(wants) is ever fulfilled

No comments: